How to get aged care services?

After your home support assessment, you need to get aged care services. There are a two ways you can be linked with an aged care service provider after your assessment.

In this video we cover:

  1. How do I get aged care services?

    There are two ways you can be linked with an aged care service provider after your assessment. The first and most common is that your assessor has sent a referral on your behalf. The second is that the assessor has provided you with a referral

    If your assessor has made a referral on your behalf, they will have sent out a referral to a service provider or list of providers to let them know you are a new client seeking services. This information will be on your support plan under ‘Service
    Recommendations’. You should expect that a provider will get in contact with you shortly to organise this service.

    If you have been given a referral code, you will need to contact a service provider directly and give them the referral code to access your My Aged Care record and begin your services.

  2. I have a referral code, how can I find service providers in my area?

    In some cases, you may have requested that the assessor provide a referral code instead of direct referral. In this instance you will need to contact an aged care service provider directly to begin your services.

    The easiest way to find aged care service providers in your region is to access the My Aged Care website at and click ‘Find a Provider’,
    then click ‘Help at home’, enter your location, and the service you are after. If you are not comfortable using the internet, then call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422 to receive assistance in selecting a provider and getting further details.

    Once you have selected your chosen service provider, you can simply contact them and give them the referral code. This will allow them to accept the referral through My Aged Care and set up the services for you.

  3. How long does it take for a service provider to contact me?

    Most service providers will contact you within two weeks of your assessment. If you have not received any contact after two weeks you should contact the provider directly using the details on your support plan. If you are unable to speak to your
    provider and/or you have not heard from them within three weeks you should contact My Aged Care for assistance.

  4. What if I don’t like my service provider or want to change?

    If you are having problems with your service provider, the first step is to contact them directly and discuss your situation. If you feel that you are unable to resolve the concern and would like to change providers, you will need to contact My
    Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and request a review of your support plan.

    If you have serious concerns about your service provider or are unable to resolve a complaint you can contact Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission by calling 1800 951 822.

Other Videos in the Series